9 Step Guide: How to choose the right bed
We spend a lot of our time in bed, and that’s why the bed and mattress are important factors to consider if you want to sleep better. Your bed should suit you and your needs. A poor quality of sleep will affect not only your nights but also everyday life – you will feel tired and drained for energy.
To find a bed and mattress that suits you and your sleeping habits, there are some aspects to consider before investing in a new bed. Read our 9 tips to selecting a bed that will help you sleep better.
- What is your favourite sleeping position? Don’t just look for a bed that will match the interior design of your bedroom, but start with how you like to sleep. It is crucial for how firm your mattress should be.
- Which type of bed? Divan bases and box mattresses are the most common bed types but which bed type is the best match for you, is a matter of taste. A divan base has a good height for getting in and out of the bed and you get one big bed without a crack in the middle. Get a detailed bed guide right here.
- The firmness of the mattress. Both your sleeping habits and your weight are determining factors when it comes to choosing a soft, medium or firm mattress. For example, if you like sleeping on the stomach a firm mattress is often recommended. Be aware that your partner doesn’t necessarily need the same firmness. Try our Sleep Test here.
- Who is the bed for? What is your age, do you live alone or with a partner and do you have kids? These are all questions you should consider when looking for a new bed. For example, it is recommend to get a higher bed if you are a senior since it is easier to get in and out of.
- The size matters. How much space a bed should occupy in the bedroom is a matter of taste. If you have a partner, we recommend that there is space on each side of the bed so the both of you can get in and out without climbing over the other. A divan base is relatively high so if you have sloping walls it might not be the best bed for you. Furthermore, you should consider if your bed also should have room for kids and/or pets.
- Mattress toppers. The mattress topper is in direct contact with your body the entire night. That’s why it is at least as important to choose the right mattress topper as it is to choose the right mattress. The mattress topper also protects the mattress and can be used on all types of beds.
- What kind of material? The most well-known materials for mattress toppers are latex and memory-foam, which have different functions depending on your needs. Memory foam has the quality that it adapts to the body and prevents muscle and joint pain. Do you prefer a mattress topper with good breathability? Then you should choose latex because it transports the heat away from the body when you sleep.
- Asthma or allergy. If you suffer from hay fever, asthma, eczema or the like, consider an allergy-friendly mattress and mattress topper. If you cannot find an allergy-friendly mattress that suits you, you can choose a regular washable mattress.
- Budget and durability. When buying a new bed you should consider how long you expect the bed to last and budget. A mattress topper can extend the life of your bed and is easier to change regularly than the entire bed.
Need more tips on how to sleep better? Read our bed guide, which guides you through the different types of mattresses, and watch our video that explains why the mattress is important for your back.